Wednesday, May 26, 2010

NAKED


Today I went swimming in my pool. I made fresh juice of spinach, apple, and ginger. Then, I lay on my deck chair naked in the sun for almost forty minutes. I got a sunburn in places that have NEVER, NEVER seen the sun.

I heard once from a very healthy raw-foodist acquaintance of mine that you should try to lay naked in the sun for about twenty minutes a day for optimum health. I shook my head at that. I couldn’t believe that I would EVER have the courage to do that. I have a hard enough time being in a bathing suit in front of even myself--let alone trying to find a place where I can lay in the sun completely NAKED!

Yet, now, I have such a place. I have a private villa with a large balcony where not a soul in the world could see me if I sunbathed completely in the buff. So, for the first time in my life today—I did it—and it felt simply marvelous! My skin felt alive, the sun warmed me, and honestly, it was a utterly sensual and sexy. I felt happy and free in ways that I haven’t let myself feel happy and free.

I had some Finnish friends stay with me this past weekend and in Finland every one owns saunas. Families and friends become very accustomed to seeing each other naked in the saunas. It’s very traditional. You just know what everyone looks like naked in your family. I liked this idea. I like the idea of being more open and free with our bodies. I like the idea of being able to feel comfortable without the salaciousness of feeling “slutty” that tends to be the aim for those who do not wear many clothes. But, in the proper place and time, I thought, for the first time in my life, that I might actually want to go to a nude beach and see what the vibe is all about.

What about you? When was the last time you let the sun kiss every part of you? I highly recommend it. I’ll be doing it again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's awesome! It's been a couple years since I had the opportunity to lay naked in the sun. I used to go to a women's bathhouse (too bad it closed down now :-( and all the women there were naked, either in the hot baths, saunas or laying out in the sun. It's very liberating and relaxing. Thanks for posting this!

Tracey Axnick said...

I love sunbathing in the nude. Unfortunately there's just nowhere I can do it around here. I know what you mean about feeling very sensuous and free though... it's a lovely thing.

Fletch said...

What the shmack! Who said it was healthy? I've never been anything resembling a sunworshipper, but I am only 33, and this year a bunch of big brown spots (pigmentation, they're called) have appeared all over my forehead and temples! You know those age spots on the back of old ladies' hands? Yeah. All over my forehead. And I've tried to wear sunblock as often as I could in my life. Also, I suddenly have deep, ugly laugh lines that have just emerged in the last year. The doctor says it is all from sun exposure, probably early in life.

Seriously, I won't be laying out naked for 20 minutes every day because I don't need polka dots all over my whole body!

(Sorry about the downer comment. But these spots are hecka ugly. The sun may not be healthy for the ultra fair-skinned. Even with sunblock.)

Uh, feel free to delete this comment. It won't hurt my feelings.

You know how I enjoy causing a disturbance on your blogs. :)

Stella said...

Vitamin D--here I come! Lots of people say it's healthy, Fletch. And I think the sun--who you have avoided for so long--would feel quite distraught at you blaming your spots solely on him/her (not sure of the sex of the sun).

In any case, I'm sorry your skin rejects it. Mine is SOAKING it up. The only problem I have is an uneven tan in the breast area--since--with age--my breasts have rolled into my armpits when not supported by a bra. So, one side is considerably tanner than the other :)