Monday, April 5, 2010

Completely Amazed

(Totally random photo that came up when I searched for an image with "thought clouds above head"--sometimes I think this is what some of my thoughts look like.)

It's been awhile since I've REALLY written what is going on. It's still a battle. Some days are easier, and some days, like today, are a lot harder.

Do you know what is funny? I feel like I have so many different forms of advice that I have heard over the years, and I find myself still trying to incorporate all of them in various ways.

Think positively!
Think thin thoughts!
Will power!
Just don't eat that chocolate!
Be strong!
Why, oh why do you actually WANT a second helping of food when you know that it is not good for you?
Get a hobby!
Take a walk every time you want to overeat!
Comfort yourself in other ways!
Get up early and have a good start to your day!
Eat a healthy breakfast.
Carbs are bad!!!!
Carbs are good!
Certain carbs are bad and certain carbs are good!!!!!!
Is this a good carb?
I don't really like meat.
Meat is a healthy protein.
Pork causes parasites!
Eat every two hours!
Only eat three meals a day!
Eat grains in the morning!
Only eat protein in the morning!
Don't drink with your meals!
You should exercise longer!!
You should be gentle with yourself.
Be harder on yourself and get more done!

And on, and on, and on.

Is anyone else like this? I have found, this week, that I haven't made big changes to anything. I am eating relatively healthy. Yesterday, Easter, I was a little homesick and probably ate more food and chocolate than my body really needed--but mostly, I've been going about like normal and just being in a STATE of COMPLETE amazement at just how many, how often, and how annoying all these thoughts are. How did they get in my head? Is it because I have read too many health magazines, blogs, books, and listened to too many tv shows, gurus, and the like?

I keep feeling, somehow, deep inside, that I instinctively know what is right for me--and I'm still chopping away at all the other things I've allowed to take up space in my thoughts. I am, I think, on a journey to find that inner voice and learn how to listen to it.

What about you?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have very similar thoughts as the ones you listed. It's definitely a process, but the best voice to listen to is your own. Meditation allowed me to unleash the voice and then it was about trusting it. You know what's right for you and you're on the right path. Keep on going :-)

Michelle said...

Me? I just really love that picture of David Bowie.

Long live Labyrinth.

Stella said...

Thanks Liz!

Michelle, I thought of you when I posted it!

Celestial Horizon said...

Try this, this is what I do when I want something BADLY:

Without thinking or saying anything to myself, I listen to the "want" in silence, then I try to touch and feel the wanting. It is like investigating, but in silence, without any thoughts at all.

Sometimes, it results in the subsiding of the wanting at that time.

Stella said...

Celestial Horizon-- I really like the idea of getting quiet. It's the best place for me to be lately.