Thursday, February 25, 2010

Homemade

Here is a pretty bowl that was in the apartment I'm renting. Basically, nothing in this apartment belongs to me. It's a weird feeling to have so little, but good too. Simple life. I hesitate buying things as I will be moving again soon to a country with different plug outlets. So, do you remember when I talked about the eggshell therapy for your bones? I was really good at saving my eggshells and boiling them. But how to grind them up? I have no coffee grinder, no appliances of any kind (not even a microwave really!) Sometimes I feel like some of my good pioneer relatives of yore....except I have downloaded every episode of Fringe, Season 2, on my iTunes! (but other than that....)

So, I decided to do it by hand. That's right folks. I got a little spoon, crushed up the eggshells and then ground them into small little bits. This took a long time. It worked my arm muscles in a big way. I counted it as exercise. Hey! Wouldn't you? I wanted to watch Little House on the Prairie as I did it ( I actually really miss that series, it defined my childhood!). I sat in my little kitchen and just worked and worked on them. Took about an hour. Not kidding. This is why pioneers never got into trouble. And why they were tired at night.

This is what I ended up with. My eggshells were brown, so they look all pretty, at least to me, but it was a labor of love. I then put all the shells into empty gel caps. Yep, I quickly went from feeling like a pioneer to feeling like a drug dealer. Pushing pills, making them all quietly in my kitchen! I also did it with Turmeric and Cayenne Pepper. I leave them in the pretty bowl, right by my fruits and then I remember to take two of each (one of the pepper) with my breakfast!


Who knew you could feel like a pioneer and a drug dealer all in one hour? Sweet! (I know, I need to get out more, I'm planning on making friends in Portugal, I swear.)

4 comments:

Dottie! said...

A mortar and pedal (is that the right words?) might be much easier than a spoon. You can get those practically anywhere.

Those sharp ends on the shells kinda make me nervous.

Stella said...

I know, I was thinking that too. I just think it's too heavy to try and pack to Portugal. But I'll get all the stuff once I'm there! Only a few more weeks now!

Dottie! said...

Whoo! I have two... a marble one I got for Christmas a few years ago and a wooden one from Colombia. The sad thing is I have only used it once... to break up cardamom pods.

Good luck on the move!

Tracey Axnick said...

I was JUST about to say you can have our mortar and pestle (pestal?) set... we have used it maybe 3 times in all the years we've been married! Anyway, if ya want it let me know.... I'll be happy to ship to you, anywhere on God's green planet. :)

And I had to laugh at your LHOTP reference... it defined MY childhood too. ("She is JUST LIKE Nellie Olsen!"... what an insult!) :)