Thursday, March 11, 2010

Going Naked

Last night I didi some research on my nail polish and decided I needed to remove it and stop ignoring the warnings. It was hard to take it off, my toes are ALWAYS red and cute and make my feet pretty. Plus, I had PAID someone to paint them, so I didn't want to take it off, but I did. Now my feet are very naked. But it's a good naked...a healthy naked.

Regular nail polish has three bad toxins:

Toluene

Toluene is a human reproductive and developmental toxin. It may affect the nervous system with symptoms like tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, and memory loss. It is thought to cause liver damage and skin irritation. In high levels it may affect the kidneys. Toluene has been linked to birth defects.

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is a carcinogen and a common indoor air pollutant because its resins are used in many construction materials. Formaldehyde has caused cancer in the nose and throats. Inhaling the fumes can result in watery eyes, headache, burning in the throat, and labored breathing.

Dibutyl Phthalate

Phthalates are used to soften plastic, and are known to affect hormone function. Studies have linked phthalates to early puberty in girls and low sperm counts in men. Environmental groups claim phthalate exposure may contribute to the rising number of uterine problems in women and testicular cancer in men. It could also be one of the contributing factors to a rise in infertility in both sexes. Repeated and heavy exposure to dibutyl phthalate may cause nausea and/or vomiting, tearing of the eyes, dizziness, and headache. Long-term exposures may cause damage to kidneys and the liver. Pregnant women must consider that dibutyl phthalate may harm the developing fetus and the male testes.


I just can't do it anymore because it's pretty. So, in researching I found some new items you might like! Here is a list of the top five Eco-Friendly nail polish brands. My favorite is PRITI, it's made with essential oils!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great info, thanks for sharing!

Celestial Horizon said...

Gosh, thanks for the warning! Maybe that's the reason I've been feeling kind of weak and dizzy.