Saturday, March 20, 2010

Reminders


Yesterday a funny thing popped up on my email inbox. It was a reminder that I was going to run a half-marathon on April 15th (yeah, with my sister--remember that, Sis?) I decided to do this sometime last fall, but I think with my move, with my job change, with my broken heart, with so many things--I guess I just pushed it aside.

So yesterday it sat teasingly looking at me. It raised its eyebrows at me, I raised mine back. It shrugged is shoulders at me, I shrugged mine back. It said, "How about it kid?" and I said, "Why not?"

Simple.

So, the thing that I have NEVER wanted to make public (because somehow you just have to stick with it when it goes public) is that I am going to start training for a half-marathon. To me that seems like a pretty big damn deal. Since I work ten to twelve hour days, it means I'm going to have to wake up pretty early to start clocking the miles. It means that I don't really know what I'm doing. It means I'm going to have to do some of the pathetic walk/jog/walk/jog that people who can't jog for very long at a time have to do. It means I could fail. It means I could succeed. It means I could fall. It means I could fly. It means that Swiss men will probably WALK past my slow gait, but it also means that I might just get these legs ready for swimwear season in Portugal.

It means....wow.
It means...hmmm.
It means...let's do this thing!


Advice? Goals I should set? Songs to add to my iPod?

6 comments:

jo said...

congrats! i am, once again, SO IMPRESSED! a couple of songs that get me motivated: "wavin' flag" by k'naan, "sheena is a punk rocker" by the ramones, and "me and mia" by ted leo and the pharmacists. if you like those and you want, i could make you a longer playlist-- let me know!

Michelle said...

i'm just always proud of you. i can't often think of much else to say than that but i love hearing about your journey, you are such an inspiration my friend!

Stella said...

Thanks girls!! You both supporting me means so much.

Jo--I would LOVE some more of those awesome tracks! I'm making a playlist right now and you KNOW I love your music!

Dottie! said...

Dude! Bollywood music!

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/19093812235

Stella said...

ooooh! Yes!

Tracey Axnick said...

You know.... the ING marathon was just YESTERDAY in Atlanta and I kept thinking to myself "Self. These people are JUST like you. YOU could do one of these things... IF you thought you could." Very interesting that I just "happened" to read this post today. Coincidental? I think not...