Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Slow Going..but Going Just the Same


Lest you doubt, I've been true to my training for my 1/2 marathon that I will run at some point this year. I have to check out the race offerings in my new home town.

I've been clocking in the miles. I've been walking/jogging on the slow, pitiful looking side. Trust me, it's not pretty, but it IS happening. Today, well, today I felt a little better. I was jogging one way and for the first time I saw someone jogging as slowly as I was--coming towards me. He was slow, he was a bit heavy, and he was full of determination. The smiles we exchanged and the hellos we said were a bit more poetic than the other "Bonjours" I said today. We both just got each other and I felt, silly as it sounds, that we kind of virtually gave each other a big high five. It made me smile and made me hang in there with more spunk than I anticipated. Sometimes, by mile four, you need a little pick me up.

Sigh. I wish I had a workout buddy. They are nice. They can be inspirational. The man I saw today inspired me, though I am sure he wouldn't ever have thought so.

No comments: