Friday, March 5, 2010

My Enemy, My Friend


May I send out some love and thanks to each of you. I've received some pretty powerful emails from a few special girls this week and it's encouraged me in some marvelous ways. One thing I hear again and again (and often times I say it in my own mind) is that we just want to be there, right? The finish line. The end goal. For some, like me, this can seem so far away. It can seem unreachable. It has to be taken in baby steps. Here are a few of my baby steps.

My body is no longer my enemy. I've decided it. Thus it's my new reality. My body is my friend.

This is REVOLUTIONARY in my new world.

Yes, perhaps it is a slow process. But may I ask what the hurry is?

There is none.

Relax. Breathe. Be gentle.

The American culture is constantly feeding our minds with the idea that we must lose 30 pounds in a month, that we must do this and this FAST FAST FAST. It can be easy! It can be quick!

I say, why? I'm on a journey.

I am not even focusing on losing weight. I don't want to focus on that. I've been focusing and obsessing about that since I was 6 years old. I'm over that. That is no longer part of my life story. What I am focusing on is just getting to know my body.

"Hey stomach, are you in need of food yet?"
"Hey stomach, is that enough food?"
"Hey body, how did you feel after I ate that, was that ok?"
"Hey body, what do you need? Have I been denying you of anything lately?"
"Hey body, thanks. Thanks for breathing and circulating and walking and running and feeling the fresh air that filtered down from the top of those beautiful Alps this morning. Just thanks."

What are your baby steps?

4 comments:

Dottie! said...

That's one of the most powerful things a person can do in their lives... to realize it's THEIR journey and to take control of it.

I think (and this is just me speaking and I speak for myself only) one of the greatest tragedies is that I grew up watching way too much television and listening to very badly influential music (the depressing 'I hate my life, my family, everything sucks kind of music). I'm not saying I'm the victim of such things... but I willingly allowed myself to be programmed and to align my thoughts with the reality that someone else was teaching.

Since backing away from that and reclaiming my life, my body, my thoughts... I find myself moving through life so much more effortlessly than ever before. It's still hard but I don't battle with myself like I used to.

Love ya girl! I'm happy everything is going so well for you!

Tracey Axnick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey Axnick said...

Things changed for me, with my body and my body image, when I was pregnant. I read everything I could get on human development in the womb and was absolute AWE STRUCK (still am) by all the quadzillion (just made that word up) things that have to go Absolutely Perfectly for a baby to emerge out into the Great Big World. And yet it happens every single day (a quadzillion times.) :)

I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating: you, me and everyone else out there in TV Land are all walking miracles. Truly. Our bodies are not the enemy. At all! We should be in AWE of our bodies.... and we should respect, love, nourish and honor them!

Hooray for being human! Hooray for being ALIVE! Soak it all up! Soak it all IN!

Stella said...

Dottie and Trace--you two women continually blow me away with your energy, your kindness, your love, your compassion, and your realness.

Thank you always for being positivity to my life and to my blog. I just love you girls!!