Monday, March 1, 2010

Spirulina!! Yum! (Sort of)

I got some Spirulina from my awesome Raw Food Teacher Friend Linda! She has a cool health blog herself and she has a post on Spirulina. Check it out if you like!

I eat it in crunchy form! Add to yogurt or smoothies. It's not the tastiest of foods, but honestly, it doesn't taste like much either, the texture is a little hard to handle, that's why I recommend the smoothie and drinking it down instead of chewing it much.

Spirulina is a blue-green algae. It is a simple, one-celled form of algae that thrives in warm, alkaline fresh-water bodies.

Spirulina is being developed as the "food of the future" because of its amazing ability to synthesize high-quality concentrated food more efficiently than any other algae. Most notably, Spirulina is 65 to 71 percent complete protein, with all essential amino acids in perfect balance. In comparison, beef is only 22 percent protein.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post! I've only recently heard of spirulina, so I'll to check out your teacher's blog.

Stella said...

Liz! You will LOVE her blog! Especially if you are into the raw food movement! Tell her I sent you! Thanks for stopping by! I enjoy your comments so much!

S

Unknown said...

you're welcome!

Krisanne said...

I just bought some skin products made with Spirulina from a very emphatic Korean woman. (A Korean woman who looks 10 years younger than her age on account of her Spirulina devotion). I can't wait to try them out.